I'm loving this pizza dough recipe. And we're LOVING loading lots of fresh, summer vegetables on top of the crust. We made this the other night and topped it with yellow squash, zucchini, chopped spinach, tomatoes, and garlic. Because the first three have very subtle flavors, I recommend lots of garlic and spices like basil, italian seasoning, oregano, etc. Of course a nice helping of mozzarella is a MUST...but that's a given.
Note: Start this dough about 2 - 2.5 hours before dinner time. Although it is simple, it does take time to process. Also, chop & dice your toppings while you're waiting for the dough to rise -- then you're ready to top it as soon as it's finished rising.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
1 tsp white sugar
1 1/2 c. warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour until dough starts to come together. (I threw it all into a our kitchen-aid mixer.) Tip dough onto a floured surface and knead until the ball of dough becomes smooth. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crusts, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Sprinkle your pizza stone or pizza pan with corn meal (or oil it). Bake for 3-5 minutes. (This will help the dough to be crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.)
5. Remove from oven and lower heat to 425 degrees. Add sauce and toppings then return to oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and cheese is melted.