Photo from Our Best Bites
We love this soup. It's a real winner: quick, simple, delicious, hearty, comforting. Since I've had to look up the recipe on Our Best Bites several times in the last couple of months, I decided it was time to share. I've made it for company twice and I hear lots of repeated compliments from DJ when I make it. It's pretty tasty and such a smooth texture. I like to make it a meal with some salad and a grilled cheese sandwich, or toasted baguette.
Recipe from Our Best Bites
1 T reserved oil from sun-dried tomatoes, or olive oil
1 C chopped onion
¾ C shredded carrot (I've used sweet potato before)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbs dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2/3 C sliced sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14oz) can chicken broth
3 oz reduced fat cream cheese
optional: 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Optional: Parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnish
1. Place oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring often.
2. Add sun-dried tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. (If you’re adding red pepper flakes, add them now)
3. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Place soup in a blender (do this in 2 batches if necessary). Add cream cheese. Remove center piece of blender lid to allow steam to escape, but place a paper towel over opening in blender lid to avoid spills. Process for a few minutes until smooth. You could also add cream cheese directly to the pot and use an immersion blender to combine.
5. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and then divide soup among bowls. Garnish each serving with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese and a fresh basil leaf if desired.