Thursday, August 18, 2011

Quinoa with Summer Vegetables


Once upon a time, about two weeks ago, I was really hungry. It was lunchtime. When I opened the fridge, I grimaced -- it was almost bare. Just some leftover quinoa, a few vegetables and the typical staples. "I've got to make something with that quinoa," I thought to myself. As a timid, quinoa novice I turned to google for help. I soon realized I can do pretty much ANYTHING with quinoa. Some people suggested eating it like oatmeal. Others said they use it like taco meat in their main dishes. With a little assurance from the trusty Internet, I was able to create a simple, delicious, satisfying quinoa dish with only a few ingredients -- and in only a few minutes. Perfect!

I don't share this recipe because it is genius, but because it was so enlightening to me to realize how versatile quinoa can be. I look forward to experimenting more with this grain.

Quinoa with Summer Vegetables

1 Zucchini, sliced
Handful Carrots, sliced
1 cup Quinoa, cooked
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Heat pan over medium heat. Drizzle olive oil into pan and sautee vegetables until soft. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add quinoa and more salt & pepper, lemon juice, and EVOO to taste. Let cook until warmed through -- about 3 minutes.



No comments: