Sunday, May 29, 2011

Biershir for Breakfast

This is a German-inspired meal my mom used to make for us growing up. I always thought it took more effort to make, but when my mom was here helping us with the new baby she made it one morning. I realized just how quick, easy, and most importantly FILLING and healthy it is. I've made it for myself twice in the past week. My other favorite part? -- no cooking or messy dishes to clean!!

Recipe from Mom Christensen
Makes 1 Serving

1/2 c. Oats (not quick)
1/2 c. Apple Juice (or enough for desired consistency)
Half of an Apple
Half of a Banana
Crunchy cereal (I prefer Grape Nuts or granola, but use whatever we have on hand)
Yogurt (any flavor)
Nuts, chopped (optional -- but I like to add chopped almonds)
Dried fruit (optional)

Combine oats and juice in a cereal bowl; let soak. In the meantime, dice half of an apple and slice half of a banana. Cover oats with fruit, add a few large spoonfuls of yogurt, then sprinkle with crunchy cereal and nuts. Enjoy!

No comments: