Friday, January 28, 2011

Winter Vegetable Soup

Photo from Sisters Cafe

Last night we had a happy menu-planning accident. I thought I had the main ingredient (lentils) for Lentil Soup...but the bag was empty when I went to prep dinner. Lucky for me, we had a variety of vegetables from last week's Bountiful Basket that needed to be used. So I stopped by Sisters Cafe and found this perfect recipe. DJ and I were both surprised at how much we enjoyed it and how filling it was. I'd definitely make it again!

I did have to make a few modifications based on our tastes and ingredients, so it varies slightly from the original.

2 Tb olive oil
1 1/2 onions, chopped
3 celery stalks, cut on bias
3 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pinches of red pepper flakes (I may have been too generous with my "pinches". It was spicy)
coarse salt and pepper - to taste
7 cups chicken broth
2 yellow squashes, chopped or diced
1-2 potatoes, cut into cubes
2 cups spinach, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. dried parsley

Heat oil in large stock pot over med-high heat. Cook onions, celery, carrots, garlic and 1 tsp salt, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent; about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add squash and potatoes; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and return to boil. Add lemon juice and herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

{B}dreamy said...

Sounds like my kind of soup, mmm! *B