Saturday, April 17, 2010

Eating My Oats


Until recently, I never really craved oatmeal for breakfast. I choked it down every once in a while when we were all out of cold cereal. But my brother-in-law, Mat made it the last time they were here and it was seriously tasty -- creamy, smooth, and filling. He taught me a few tricks and we have been enjoying a little variety to our regular breakfast routine.

This isn't complicated or even a "recipe". But it is an idea worth sharing.

{The ratio is 2 parts water to 1 part oatmeal. This is enough for two.}
2 cups water
1 cup oatmeal
Salt, to taste

Add ins:
Brown sugar
Honey
Maple Syrup
Ground Cinnamon
Fresh fruit, diced (apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches, berries, etc.)
Nuts, chopped (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
Dried Fruit, chopped (cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, etc.)
Milk

Bring water to rolling boil. Add oats and salt and return to boil. Let cook on medium-hi heat for about 5 minutes or until texture is smooth. This is when I add honey and cinnamon.

Divide among bowls and let each person choose their own add-ins. My favorite combination lately has been honey, cinnamon, brown sugar, dried cherries, almonds, and bananas and a little milk, of course. Yum!

Thanks, Mat!

No comments: