Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pasta Primavera

I tried to create my own version of a Pasta Primavera by morphing together this recipe with this one. In the end, we really loved the light, lemony flavor but I think I'll do less pasta and more vegetables next time. I just used what vegetables we had on-hand and whatever was on sale that week.


I don't remember measurements because I mostly just threw things together, but I think it went something like this:

1 package pasta (I recommend bowtie)
1 yellow squash, chopped in matchsticks
1 zucchini, chopped in matchsticks
1 carrot, julienned
2 tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons lemon zest, or to taste
Fresh basil and parsley, chopped (I didn't have any so I used more Italian seasoning and dried parsley -- but I bet using the real thing would add a lot to the flavor)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I didn't have any so I used mozzarella)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Toss chopped vegetables (including garlic and onion) in the baking dish with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and Italian seasoning. Roast in oven for 15 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest, basil, and parsley. Squeeze in more lemon juice, to taste. Toss until heated through. Combine pasta mixture with roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese to serve.

No comments: