Chalonn's Food Ideas...
I recently asked Chalonn what some favorite, everyday, healthy meals were at the Redd house and this was her response. I'll have to get a few recipes and details , but all of these look pretty tasty! Thanks for sharing, Redds! It's always nice to get ideas from another chef.
- Lettuce Wraps
- Mongolian Beef (another P.F. Changs recipe that Heber recently perfected)
- Soups: Our favorites are Chenae's tortilla soup, Black Bean Soup, my Martha Stewart Broccoli Soup (which is more like a bisque), White Chicken Chili, and Taco Soup.
- Salads: I mix it up every time usually a combination of either apples, gorganzola, craisins, and nuts OR cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, etc.
- Smoothies and I always add tofu to give them protein content.
- We're not huge casserole fans but have found a few that we love: Enchiladas, Lasagna, and Poppyseed Chicken.
- Sandwiches. Our favorite is on a Focaccia loaf (sliced in half). Spread some Pesto Sauce on each half, then a layer of Turkey deli meat and Havarti Cheese. Broil until the cheese melts and put halves back together and enjoy...it's really good..
- Also, Heber and I have a new favorite treat: Tomatoes and Real Mozzarella Cheese slices with Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, and Salt & Pepper. I eat it just like that...Heber likes to put it on a fancy cracker...seriously yummy!
- When we do eat pasta it's usually Penne with Pesto Sauce (instead of red sauce). We add real grated Parmesan and Artichoke Hearts. I also like to add grilled chicken. Serve either a salad or steamed veggie.
- Crockpot Southwestern Chicken. I put 3 things in the crockpot: Chicken breast, a jar of Salsa, and 1 can of Black Beans. A few hours later I shred the chicken in the crockpot and dinner is ready. Heber fills taco shells, Mckay and London fill tortillas and I put mine over rice. It is yummy and everyone had their own option. We added cheese and a salad on the side.