Monday, February 7, 2011

Ensalada Chilena



Here's another favorite dish from Chile. I love this salad. A lot. This is my own version of a staple Chilean Salad (or "Ensalada Chilena") that was always served at ward parties, backyard barbecues, and occasionally showed up on restaurant menus.

I never measure the ingredients for this dish, but I think a recipe would look something like this...

3-5 ripe tomatoes*, cut into wedges
1 medium onion, finely sliced into half-rings
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
Juice of 1-2 lemons or limes (according to taste)
Sea Salt
1 tsp. of dried parsley (or coriander)
Diced avocado or cucumber, optional (this is not authentic to the salad, just something I like to add every once in a while)

In bowl toss onions in salt. Squeeze onions in hand to "temper" -- this takes away their sting and makes them easier to eat raw. Do this a few times until softened.

Add tomatoes, olive oil, lemon/lime juice, parsley, and salt to taste. Toss to combine.

*Tomato Note: I've just learned in the last couple years that putting your tomatoes in the fridge is "the worst thing you can do" for their flavor. I leave them in a bowl on the counter and they get really red, juicy and extra flavorful throughout the week.

No comments: