Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How I Cook an Omelet


DJ and I both grew up in families where omelets were our dads' specialties. They had each perfected the egg mixture, pan coating, and folding. But when I'd make an omelet, I would usually end up calling it "scrambled eggs" instead.

So, recently I was watching a "Barefoot Contessa" episode. She was making an omelet...but she threw all the ingredients into the pan, then slid it into the OVEN...and let it cook while she prepared the rest of her meal. What?!? Ever since then, that is how I've made our omelets. They are always a puffy, yummy texture. No flipping or folding. And guess what, our omelets are all done at the same time so we can actually eat them together -- while they're still warm.

Liam and I had these omelets for lunch today so I snapped a quick picture and thought I'd share. Not necessarily because it's super gourmet, but because it's an easy meal idea that can be dressed-up to your liking.

Oven Omelets
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten

5 or 6 large eggs
2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
Grated cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste

Optional Fillings:
Bacon or ham, (I've used Bacon Bits)
Vegetables and fresh herbs such as: tomato, chopped fresh spinach, bell pepper, red onion, cilantro or parsley, diced potato, etc.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch oven-safe saute pan. Whisk eggs and yogurt together in pan. Add cheese and salt and pepper, then diced vegetables and chopped herbs. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Be careful when removing the pan from oven as handle will be HOT (learned TWICE from personal experience). Divide into halves or quarters and serve right from the pan. Garnish with diced avocado, sour cream, or salsa.

No comments: