MEATS, FISH, POULTRY
- Choose lean cuts of meat with fat trimmed such as beef-round, sirloin, rump steak, loin; Poultry without skin; Pork tenderloin.
- Decrease "Prime" grade meats, Fatty cuts like: corned beef, brisket, short ribs, spareribs; goose, duck, organ meats, sausage, bacon, hot dogs, regular luncheon meats.
- Choose skim milk, low-fat buttermilk, low-fat evaporated or nonfat milk; low-fat or nonfat yogurts and cheeses.
- Decrease whole milk, cream, half & half, nondairy creamers, real or nondairy whipped cream, cream cheese, sour cream, ice cream, custard-style yogurt; high-fat cheese like Brie, Swiss, American, Cheddar.
- Choose Egg whites, cholesterol and fat-free egg substitutes
- Decrease Egg yolks (substitute 2 egg whites for 1 egg)
- Choose unsaturated vegetable oils (in limited quantities): corn, olive, peanut, canola, safflower, sesame, soybean; fat-free mayonnaise, cream cheese, and salad dressings; mustard and flavored vinegars (when cooking, use spray oils or nonstick pans and decrease amount of fat in recipe by 1/3 or substitute applesauce for fat).
- Decrease butter, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, lard, bacon fat.
BREADS, CEREALS, PASTAS
- Choose breads like whole wheat, pumpernickel, rye, pita, bagels, English muffins, rice cakes; lowfat crackers and bread sticks; plain cereals (hot and cold); spaghetti and macaroni; any grain; dried peas and beans.
- Decrease croissants, butter rolls, sweet rolls, pastries, donuts, most snack crackers, granola-type cereals made with saturated fats, egg noodles, pasta and rice prepared with cream, butter, or cheese sauces.
- Choose fresh, frozen, and canned (no salt added).
- Decrease vegetables prepared in butter, cream, or sauce; fruits served in glazes.